- Canada’s Food Guide
- People with diabetes should follow Eating Well with Canada’s Food Guide
- Tips for a Healthy Diet:
- Eat at least one dark green and one orange vegetable each day
- Choose vegetables and fruits prepared with little to no added fat, sugar, salt
- Have vegetables and fruits more often than juice
- Make at least half of your grain products whole grain each day
- Choose grain products that are lower in fat, sugar, or salt
- Drink skim, 1%, or 2% milk each day
- Select lower fat milk alternatives
- Have meat alternatives such as beans, lentils and tofu
- Eat at least two Food Guide Servings of fish each week *
- Select lean meat and alternatives prepared with little or no added fat or salt.
- Satisfy your thirst with water
*Health Canada provides advice for limiting exposure to mercury for certain types of fish.
Refer to www.healthcanada.gc.ca for the latest information
Diabetic Gourmet Magazine
An online magazine dedicated to diabetic dining and healthy living.
Dietitians of Canada
A professional Web site that includes information on finding and hiring a dietitian, as well as a searchable database of Canadian Registered Dietitians.